Tayross Associates Ltd

CIOB Chartered Building Consultants

Managing Director: Carl O'Boyle (RICS Membership No: 5628079)

Professionalism & Integrity
In Construction

Membership No: 1486929

Carl Charles O’Boyle

2nd Floor Monument House,

215 Marsh  Road, Pinner, Middlesex HA5 5NE

07976 820628 (Mobile) 0208 426 1448 (Office)

Party Wall Membership No: 0453

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

The Party Wall Act offers measures to protect your interests and prevent disputes between neighbours over building work taking place near to, or affecting party walls and boundaries. I can help you access those preventive measures.

The Party Wall Act was brought into force to reduce the number of building disputes and court cases arising out of neighbours falling out over building works. A breach of the Act can give rise to payments of compensation or an injunction.

My Profile: I am professionally qualified with 25 years experience of Planning, Building and Surveying related matters.  I’m aptly qualified to act as a Party Wall Surveyor in matters relating to the awarding and participation in Party Wall Agreements.   

I am a full professional member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and the Chartered Institute of Building for which I currently sit on the CIOB Professional Conduct Committee / Investigations Panel.  This Committee / Panel are responsible for upholding the disciplinary regulations and rules of conduct of the Institute and investigate any cases of alleged misconduct by members.

My chief objective: is to defuse the tension where present and bring harmony to the whole process.

The Act sets out a framework of equitable rights and obligations to ensure that care is taken by builders and access is not unreasonably denied to them. If you or your neighbour proposes to carry out works, the Act sets out what needs to be done to safeguard your property. If you are the owner carrying out the works, compliance with the Act secures the access you need and limit any future claims for damage claimed to have been caused to your neighbour’s property as a result of these.

The reasonable costs of regulation under the Act, including any professional fees, are normally for the account of the building owner.

As a fully accredited Party Wall Surveyor I can help to establish clarity and fairness and to avoid disputes by:-

  • Mitigating delays by timely serving of notices and determine/agree start of works and working hours for Party Wall matters.
  • Agree access to boundary / party wall for building work.
  • Reduce the potential for selling problems in the future.

Once building works commence it can be too late to invoke this Act, so acting today will safeguard tomorrow.

Call now or email me any concerns you may have

One does not have to look too far to find the typical headlines below. Most as a result of ignoring the Party Wall Act.

Garden wall dispute costs loser £250,000

- The Times Newspaper

Dispute over colour of garden railings costs family £60,000
A bitter dispute between neighbours over the colour of six feet of garden railings has seen a family handed legal bills totally £60,000.

- The Telegraph

Leigh woman’s home is sold following land dispute over driveway

- The Daily Echo

Brief encounter: My neighbour is damaging my party wall. What can I do?
My neighbour has embarked on a series of refurbishments. Two weeks after this started I received a letter asking for my permission to carry out work under the Party Wall etc Act. I did not give my permission, but the work continued. My house was damaged (a cracked wall). What is my position?

- The Times Online